Sunday, November 11, 2007

Where to start

I first started researching natural childbirth even before I knew I was going to have children for sure. My friend, Suzee, was a member of a forum called "Hip Mama." It was my first introduction to anything even remotely natural. My mom cooked healthily growing up, and I had always exercised, but I didn't know anything about the things these people were talking about. I felt like I was reading another language!

When I got pregnant with Laney, I decided on a natural birth, and started researching hard core. That led me to all things natural after the baby is born. Breastfeeding, natural medical choices, and stuff like that. Then I thought, "Well, I did all this to get her here naturally, so what about as she grows?"

Then I got overwhelmed. I remember talking to a sweet girl named Christina. She was a friend of Hayes' and mine, and I was such a newbie. I called her for advice, and she told me anything and everything. Granted, that was what I had wanted her to do, but my head swam, I got all sweaty, and I ran to the nearest McDonalds!

Then I broke it down. Tiny, baby steps. I'm not saying you are going to want to do even a small fraction of the things discussed on this blog, but I just want you to be informed. If you do start, just start small. I'm going to go in baby steps too. That way you won't feel overwhelmed!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Um, yes, baby steps...tiny baby steps...I am open to anything, but can't have anymore babies, but I would nurse one in a heartbeat. My baby steps right now are food, then I want to move to environmental conscious, wholesome living. Does that mean "green", the buzz word-lol! Oh dear, I have a lot to learn & desire for this to be Christ centered!

Jenn said...

Oh, and I did witness an all natural birth w/ a dula(sp?)-it was amazing!!! Amazed by you mamas & no drugs:)

Jackie said...

I don't think I could have had Cody naturally without your wealth of information, and I probably would not have used cloth diapers either. I am so grateful for that.