Thursday, November 15, 2007

Organic Processed Foods

Basically if we only shopped the outer perimeter of a grocery store, and never went into the aisle, we be the most healthy.

But, seriously, who does that? Me, maybe, one day!!! (A long time from now.... :) )

The fact is, processed food is just not the best thing for you. It usually has too much sodium and tons of artificial ingredients.

BECOME A LABEL READER. I can't stress how important that is. If you read a label, and can't pronounce a word, or you don't know what something is, than chances are, you shouldn't be eating it.

Easier said than done, right?

Maybe not.

There are organic, or "natural" versions of most processed foods. Or....

This may not be the time to get on my "cook from scratch" bandwagon, but I'll go ahead and stick my toes in the water.

I was a processed food eater for a long time. Then I got out my cookbook. I found recipes for almost everything I used to cook in a processed way.

Did it take more time?? Yep. Is it a sacrifice of time? Yes. Did I have to schedule more cooking time? Yes.

But~~~~ it's cheaper to cook from scratch. Really. And it goes with out saying that it's far, far more healthier.

I honestly believe that it's the artificial ingredients we put into our bodies that are responsible for a large part of our western culture's health problems.

But that's a little preachy. My goal is to offer facts, without opinions. I'm not doing a good job of that today!!

So, in the next couple of days, I'm going to talk about things to avoid in your foods. The ironic thing is, none of these things are found in fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains. Isn't that something? If we all ate like that, what would happen? I lump myself into that question, because I've been lazy here lately. I'm not doing a great job either!!!!

Time after time, I read accounts of people who have beaten diseases and illnesses by changing their eating habits. It's amazing.

I'm praying for God to help me get un-lazy and rededicated about how important it is to treat His temple correctly.

4 comments:

Graced said...

We have been trying to live on "outside edge" foods for a few years now. It is really hard.

I have a friend in Mobile that cured many of her health problems by eating a very strict health food diet. At one time I thought she was crazy, now I know she was right. My doctor has told me that I can defeat all the inherited health problems I am headed toward quite easily by eating this way. Now we will see how much I want to feel good.

Jenn said...

Oh dear, I just love you & thank you for spurring me on; it will be baby steps for us. So thankful for my new favorite blog:) Never looked at food this way-outer edge...hmmmm...new deep thoughts...oh me...

Jenn said...

Also, you are too cute..."preachy"-you just make me laugh!

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.