Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The most important foods to eat organic

To me, it's dairy. The hormones and antibiotics are very scary to me. And personally, just my opinion, it's the reason children are developing so early. And largely. Know what I mean??

So a gallon of organic milk at Publix is $4.99. And it goes on sale. Regular milk is not far behind price wise. I'm not so particular on cheese, but we eat a lot of rice cheese, which is a later post. But if your kids eat a lot of cheese, then it's necessary to get organic.

I cook with regular cheese, because it's basically a small amount, and I do have to pick and choose financially.

Meat is important also. We don't eat red meat. It's a choice I made 11 years ago, and mainly I did it to keep me from eating a lot of junk. I also got up close and personal with a very sweet cow. It's funny, but true. I just couldn't imagine eating one after petting that sweet thing and looking in those sweet eyes. Okay, laugh away. It's true and I'm embarrassed!!!

I don't get to eat a lot of organic meat, again because of the cost. Publix has "natural" meat, that although it's not organic, it's better than the alternative. I love Costco's chicken. It's semi-all natural, and affordable.

Salmon is a must. Buy Alaskan-wild. NEVER farmed. Ever. Some are treated with color too, so avoid that. Farmed fish is a bad idea in general.

Here is a list of the "Dirty Dozen." I do go by this almost religiously.

12 Most Contaminated

Peaches
Apples
Sweet Bell Peppers
Celery
Nectarines
Strawberries
Cherries
Pears
Grapes (Imported)
Spinach
Lettuce
Potatoes (regular and sweet)


I would also add oats to that list.

I would also add to that list anything your kids eat a lot of. Zane is in a banana phase, so I'm buying organic bananas. They are about 50 cents more a pound, and it's worth it. Just for now. Anything they consume a lot of, is worth buying organic. Especially younger children. Their bodies are smaller and pound for pound they metabolize harmful ingredients less efficiently than our bigger bodies do.

More later!!!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

This is my new favorite blog! Really! I love every ounce of you!

Jenn said...

Great advice! Pray for my new journey & Brooks'eating habits!!!!

Jenn said...

Oh, and I love cows too. They're so sweet...just gentle & sweet...I'm weird like this too!

Ok, so do I need to buy organic apples?

What about organic chicken nuggets-is there such a thing? Lunch meat?