Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hi and Welcome!

Sorry it took me so long. I'm happy to be here.

The title is an homage to Hayes. We shop at several stores around town, and one day she said, "I need to go to Golden Harvest and get ......" whatever it was that day. I died laughing, and said, "That must be a new, super cool store, because I've never heard of it...." We laughed a lot about that, because we're weirdos that way! What she said is a combination of store names, as you will see below.

So while I'm on the subject, I'll run down a list of places we, and you, can shop, if you feel so inclined.

Abundant Living-This tiny store is in Calera. It's small, but they have lots of great stuff, and tons of classes on healthy eating and living. Jackie took lots of classes there, and the staff is sweet and informative. They have a veggie coop too, and Jackie used that. The ride is long, but fun and absolutely beautiful. The store is actually a trailer on a huge piece of land, and I love going there just for the views and the peace.

Organic Harvest-This is the store in Hoover where my mom works. That's why I call it "My Mom's Store" but she just works there, and doesn't own it! It's a mini Whole Foods, and I can get everything I need there. Their prices are about as good as Whole Foods too, I have found.

Whole Foods-I don't even need to mention it, but the one thing I love most is they don't look at you all crazy when you take in your canvas shopping bags. They even give you 5 cents off your total bill per bag. I really love that.

Golden Temple-It's in Southside, and although it's a pretty good store, they have a vegetarian cafe that is out of this world. I mean the best, real food you've had. Hayes and I used to go there 4 kids ago, and we'd eat and eat all this wonderful food. And amazing soup. I miss those days!! So if you're ever up there, stop in. They even eschew plastic eatery and use real plates, utensils and cups. A tree hugger's dream! lol!

Millhouse Foods-On 119 in Alabaster. It's a nice stop in, when you're in the area, type of place, but their selection is limited and prices seemed high to me. I know a lady who buys all her produce and things there, so it might work for you! We just aren't down that far usually. But it's nice to know about!

Publix-I can get a lot of things there, but their prices are more on most things. They are a good in a pinch place.

Wal Mart-I hate to say it, because I have serious issues with Wal Mart and their business ethics, but they do have more and more organic options. Look for them if you go. I honestly try not to shop there, but maybe that's a post topic for later.

Target on 280-Thank you for the reminder, Sandi! Yes, Target!!!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Yippy! Can't wait to make the rounds-especially the store in Hoover. I love you, Amy. Thank you for giving & serving our family. We are wild about all our goodies. You and Allen are Jesus in skin. This blog is deliciously crunchy & I know it will bless many. Look forward to being a student of good health & maybe moving up a notch in my mild crunchiness:)

Any cheesy, salty harvest, organic chip out there that you like?

Favorite yogurt?
Granola preference? Shane loves Kashi.

Amy said...

Flat earth has a veggie chip-It's a cheddar one and we love it. You can get it even at WalMart.

Stonyfied yogurt is our favorite. All kinds. I eat plain with frozen blueberries or peaches. The kids eat the "baby yogurt." It has whole milk.

We love Big Sky granola. There's one at Publix and Costco I'm going to have to remember the name of too...

Jenn said...

Thanks my dear crunchola friend!

Unknown said...

Just wanted to add that I've found Super Target over on 280 has lots of good organic choices, too. Better prices on organic meat and lots of store brand organics.
Loving this blog!