Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Palm what??

I had my coupon all ready this morning for my Natural Skippy peanut butter. We normally do cashew or almond butter, but with it being the end of the month, I needed to $pend less that I normally do.

But when I flipped the jar around to read the ingredients (always always always read the ingredients) I saw "Palm Oil." Uh oh. I couldn't remember whether this was a good thing or a bad thing, so I chose another brand with the words, "Peanuts and salt" as the ingredients and came home to look up "palm oil."

And I'll share what I learned with you.

Here is the most detailed information: (and I really love Dr. Weil. He's a great source of info.)

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA118473

but basically here's the lowdown.

Palm oil is still a saturated fat. Still not good for your heart and arteries, but better than Partially Hydrogenated Oil. Remember we are avoiding this at all costs.

Palm oil is okay. Palm kernel oil is bad and Fractionated Palm Oil is the worst.

I'd eat palm oil on occasion. I'd avoid the other two.

This is important because now that companies are trying to label their food as "Trans Fat Free" you really need to read the labels (!) to see what they are replacing the partially hydrogenated oil with. We are used to tasting that partially hydrogenated stuff, and when you take it out, you have to replace it with something. If it says "Trans Fat Free" but has partially hydrogenated oil in it, they are lying. They do that, you know!

So there you go!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Most of the stuff you write about, I have already heard, but sometimes I forget just why I shouldn't be eating something. I am so grateful for this blog and your simple synopsis of information.

Unknown said...

We use the Skippy Natural Peanut butter. Todd doesn't like the kind with the oil on top, so this is the best alternative. We don't eat that much, so I feel ok using it. Thanks for the info on palm oil. I'm with Jackie, I had read about it when I first started buying this pb, but I had forgotten some of it.